Monday, October 12, 2009

Move the Furniture

It has been a life long dream to jump out of a plane... you know to go skydiving. Wanted to go a while back when in Moab but I was instructed to go to sea level and gain the extra 4,000' or so of free fall. I had a trip to California planned and asked my friend if she was interested in jumping. I was really stoked when she said yes.
We headed to Byron, Ca. (www.bayareaskydiving.com)
We were running behind in the morning and my hangover was not helping me out what so ever. The WRX did some proper tearing of the Cali roadways to get us there on time. We were slated to jump from 11,000' but this day they were jumping from 13,000' so a little higher bonus. I was excited from the second Hailey said yes and I never got nervous until we walked into the hanger and then it all kinda changed; the hands trembled, the throat dry, giggles started too. We had some time to kill before the jump so I pounded water to counter the pounding in my head... I'm never drinking again! :-) As we waited the nerves settled and excitement grew to phenomenal levels. We suited up in the one-sies and strapped into our harnesses, received our instructions of what to do and what to expect. We headed out to the plane and loaded up, took off and smiles were seen by everyone. Even the instructors and camera guys smile and giggle, you can tell it never gets old. They were super welcoming and fun, it was easy to see they were a tight knit group which helps to ensure confidence in the rookies. When we got to the jump altitude everyone started high five-ing, pounding fists, wiggle fingers, Borat quotes and the like. The door opened and the single jumpers exited the plane. We slid to the door, stood up and I looked down... I thought "wow... 13,000' is high." (duh) Within a few seconds out went the camera guy, we leaned forward and out the door we went. We did a slight flip and looked back up to the plane above, and we corrected to a face down position. I fixated my vision on a spot on the ground for a few seconds, laughing hysterically.
He tapped my arms and I opened up. We then started spinning flat a few times, so fun! It wasn't a falling feeling as I had expected, your just kinda floating with the earth racing towards you and the wind in your ears. Laughing, screams of joy, etc.
My goggles got blown into my face a bit and the camera guy attempted to fix them.
So blown away at how loud it was. Within 60 seconds the chute opened and I thought, that sucks, too soon. I got to pull the reigns on the chute and do some loops which was really fun with the G-forces and all. We landed smoothly on the ground and I looked at him and said "let's go again." (I couldn't afford to at the moment though) I know I have found a new sport for sure! Between everything else I do in life I have a new hobby, next years plan is to get certified and start getting my adrenaline on as that is the best drug on the planet and I am happily addicted to it! This may sound like complete b.s. but the feeling is the same as dropping a good cliff on a snowboard, racing a motorcycle around, setting the hook on a trout; like a first kiss. It's really a moment, a clip of time, a short burst of tremendous bliss and emotion when all feels right, confused, and millions of butterflies in your stomach.. It's something, a feeling you chase after. I was bouncing around afterwards and still feel above cloud 9.

1 comment:

BLUEANGLER said...

I thought you are diving with a cute girl... not a hairy big bear... HA...

Great stuff... can not imagine what it like... dying?