Monday, October 19, 2009

Dagobah 2009

I headed back to the Dagobah System to see Yoda, BJ, Izzy and Durf and slay some browns while I was there. It had been since Pioneer Day that I saw him last. (Pioneer Day is a Mormon Holiday (yippie)) As well as a full year since I met him in the Dagobah System. Once again I hit the water at just the right time when it was starting to turn off, or on depending on your perspective. I just wish I could spend the full month there watching it gain momentum, flourish, flower and then die off. Yet, I gotta pay the bills and I like my job so Sunday night brought me back home and Monday morning back to work. It was cold as hell the first night, down to 22 degrees, that's what you get in October at 9,000'. I was well prepared for the cold but cold is still cold. With the days short and being stuck down in a canyon the sun rises at about 8:00-8:30 and sets around 6:45-7:00ish. So, by the time it warms enough to move and get out on the water I had to first de-ice my boots every day.
I ventured out each day and then within a few hours back to camp to eat food, change, and get ready for the cold. As Izzy said, "do you guys want to stand out here in the cold or should we go inside and b.s." we went inside. It's really cool to listen to the stories of these two "old men". The camaraderie between them is encouraging and the bond between good people is inspiring. It really helps to have things put into perspective by people who have lived a lot of life in a short time. Being in your 60s is still young and I plan to fish this spot with these two gentleman for many many years to come. Yet, even with my elder friends hanging around, it still gets lonely and leaves A LOT of time to be by yourself to think. I usually enjoy my activities because my brain is able to shut off and focus on nothing other than the activity at hand. I found myself thinking of somewhere else quite often. As the blog is titled there really is "no place like somewhere else."
The fishing was awesome, spanning browns from 747s to 23+"ers in ankle deep water, so bitchin' like a Camero, or even a Fiero. It's never a bad thing loosing count of your fish in the 40s or 60s after a few hours each day. A fair estimate would be about 210 fish in three days and an average size of 15"s. When looking back on the pictures from last year then this year's I swear I caught some of the same exact fish in the same exact spot, no lie. It only seemed to get better as the day warmed and then would settle out as the sun set behind the canyon walls. My energy level coincided with the temperature, and even though it was only 9:30 or 10:00 I found myself in my sleeping bag, all cozied up with a beer and a book. I had a good b-day gift book to read about the man (not the man man, or the white man, but THE man... J.C.) which kept me entertained until I either put it down or woke up next to it amongst the frost forming around me.
Next weekend promises to be a little better. The stream should be even more prime and the water even more full of my fish friends. Hopefully they'll all be ready to taste the cold sting of a sharp, freshly tied Raggedy Andy...