Sunday, August 23, 2009

Football on Sunday?

Headed back to Football Creek with Amanda. My god, teaching someone is difficult, especially when they slay it so fast! Not to say she is killing it all over, but the learning curve is, well bending. The enthusiasm is really her biggest asset. I think the same went for me when I first started, you quickly figure out if this "sport" is for you or not. You find yourself either saying this sucks, it's fun for a few weekends a year, or you envision the remainder of your life in search of the beauties that live just beneath the surface. For me, this is an old man's game, being that I will be playing this game as an old man, and as Amanda stated she will be an old women slaying trout.
Amanda learned today why it is called Football Creek, she caught a football. It was funny. I was dabbing a streamer through a hole when she said "I'm on". I looked into the hole she was fishing and saw the monster rise, I exclaimed "HOLY SHIT" and yelled for her to lift her rod up high, reel it in and let it run. She knew whatever was on the other end was heavy but had no idea what she had clenched onto her fly until it got really close and rose next to her, I think her reaction was similar to mine; "holy shiz-nit". She fought the fish well, it made several runs up but never down, lucky her. We got it into the net and the look on her face was somewhere between shock, fear, joy, and happiness, a collage of emotion. We got her to pick it up and started taking pics, after a few we got in back into the net and had her take of few with me holding it so we could better see the beautiful monster football Cutthroat. It was then that I looked at her and she wasn't yet taking pictures, her hands were shaking so much it made me laugh. I "yelled" at her to take pics and she snapped a few before the shaking and adrenaline took over again. That was enough, we let the beautiful Cutt go back into the depths. I looked at her and said "Do you realize what you have just done? You may never catch a fish like that again, ever! That may be a once in a lifetime catch." Not bad for fishing a handful of times... ahh, the teacher so proud of the student!
Garside's cutthroat
(me holding Garside's fish)
Good times Garside

No comments: