Monday, August 17, 2009

700k for Cutthroat Searching

700 miles of driving around Utah in search of Cutthroats. Well, I had to put my money where my mouth had been. The taste was not good; sour leading to bitter with a touch of irony in the background, and a long weak finish. I had been told about some new water to go explore and I set out to check on it. I wanted to target a specific species. I was in search of Cutthroats, and specifically Native Bonneville Cutthroats. So, I had to test the waters, the pavement, dirt, and soul. Getting there seemed as difficult as the first lunar landing probably was. The map was useless and I was heading into the utmost unknown. Usually the Utah DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer is spot on, not so in this grid. It was pretty much useless and if times got rough it would have been the perfect fire starter. The landmarks I was told to look for were all in place but the map numbers, road numbers and names, and geography were all wrong. Making the trip extra difficult and the final location impossible to find. Well, not impossible cause I did find it. However, 10 years of being absent... my source proved to be the catalyst of change. The stream was down an easy 3 feet. The riverbed rocks long exposed to sunlight had burnt the mossy cling-ons that once flourished in the bottom of the stream on the rocks and they had turned a bright sun bleached white. There was no way 8-10" cuttys still lived here, and I was correct... they don't. I headed to the other stream just on the other side of the mountain range and again, water too small, bad map, lots of driving, etc. etc. New plan....
I packed up camp, got in the truck and headed out to yet another location, scene 3. Again, searching for more cutts. I pulled down a road where I had once fished years ago with B.G. I knew where the secret turn off after mile marker "xx" was, you know behind the OK Corral... but wait... a fence... a gate... a sign... private property? WTF? Denied again! STRIKE 3!
Feeling frustrated and seeing the sun was no longer going up or suspended for a moment in the sky, it was working its way west, and going down sooner than I'd like it to. I had to make a break for it to avoid another search by navigating the star chart at night, landmarks are difficult to see at night(if you didn't know). I arrived at the spot after dark no less, the area was crowded by hunters and 4-wheelers... perfect these fools don't fish.
So, it wasn't the desired spot. It wasn't the second days spot either. Nor was is by chance spot 3, no I was in the bonus round now, and spot 4 was going to deliver!
No disappointment the fourth time around... fours a charm? I did finally encounter the Cutthroats I was in search of. The lesson to be had was simple... when in search of specific things you may not always find them or find what you are looking for. Amazingly, this is the first time I have ever searched out a water to be denied on its bounty... times three. Yet, the drive to find the cutthroats didn't end, I persevered and after 700 miles from Friday to Sunday I may call the adventure just that, an adventure...
Where to next? More, bigger, fatter cutts next weekend? Who knows? I do know I will not be returning to spot 1,2,3 anytime soon. Time to bust out the maps and start the search again, for when the search stops so does the adventure and expansion of skills, heart, love, knowledge, solitude, and life... shit, what else... trout hunting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haley, That's a bummer that you did so much driving for so little fishing. But, I always look at it like "Now I know." I always wonder about places and I like to find out for myself, even if I come up fishless. It looks like you finally hooked into some beauties though--I love those orange gill plates! Is that big yellow thing one of Cheech's concoctions?

Anonymous said...

It looks Cheech-ish but it's not. The fish are so pretty there. One of my top 5 waters!

BLUEANGLER said...

looks like no place like this place! Good fish! good rewards. I am jealous! : )