Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cutthroats, Browns and Flowers




I took Amanda to Football Creek. I knew that I had to bring her somewhere that she could catch fish. I know all too well the frustration that builds when learning to fly fish, spending days on the water without catching anything. I wanted this day to be different for her, her fortunes had to change. After hitting the Provo with no fish we had to hit a spot where I knew fish where active.
Football Creek is a minimum 12+ hour day of fishing, hiking and driving. She was a champion about it and was rewarded with lots of fish... of course there is "the one that got away" but I saw it, she hooked into a very nice cutthroat but it broke her off.
It was a really good learning experience for both of us. For me teaching someone and trying to think of a hundred ways to convey the same thing but differently until it clicks for the person. For her, it wound up being a lesson in casting, hook setting, and landing bigger fish. Not many people catch fish like she did her fourth time out.
It was great to have someone I could play fishing baseball with. Catch a fish and it's a hit, next batter up. Prick three, miss three, hook up and loose it and your out. Fortunately she was also catching fish so we each got plenty of at bats each and plenty of fish were brought to hand.









1 comment:

BLUEANGLER said...

Oh, man...

The creek! So hot... everything is hot! Nice report! Love the summer time, flowers, fish and girls... HOT...