Sunday, June 22, 2008

Just what I needed

I'm so glad I learned to fish!
Well, I went alone so no one stole my fish...

Sunday turned out to be just what I needed. Met some very nice cowboys and a cowgirl gearing up their horses to wrangle up some cattle. They were nice, polite, and they even tried to feed me breakfast, but I declined, I just wanted to hit the water. Thanks to a heads up from Bryan and Nate I was armed with the right fly on top and then my newly designed nymph that grew some legs from my original, and the two worked great together. From about 8:35 am- 12:30 pm the fishing was 'hot and furious', after that it got sporadic. There seemed to be a hatch going off ALL DAY LONG and the fish got tired from filling their bellies all morning at the Bug Buffet. I landed a couple cutthroats, very happy about that, the first two of the year with more to come I hope, and hopefully next time I don't have to go alone...



I always seem to get extremely and dangerously close to moose and I am very afraid of them. As some people are aware I have a magnetism for moose. Not in the automobile, but on foot, I have been 5 feet away from two bull moose at Snowbird with Jr. years back, at Brighton in the summer 30 feet away, with Bryan at some lake, on some mountain, in some range, in some state we ran into a crazy bull moose that went into the lake to swim after us, where was that again B.G.? Then, for the second time where I was fishing, came across a bull moose that made me almost crap my pants. How can animals that are so large be so stealth and just sneak up on you? One second I am casting to a rising trout, the next thing I know there is this giant black animal 15 feet away staring at me, ears perked straight up! I quickly, or rather I QUICKLY reeled in my line and backed up quietly, climbed a steep embankment and snapped some pictures from a safe, high distance. As the moose did his thing I figured it was time to take a lunch break and watch this moose continue downstream and out of sight.











4 comments:

BG said...

Looks like it was good... Perhaps I'd better head there in the A.M.

Great to see that you got them... Size #12 dry flies, ahhhhh.....

I agree, solo trips are always an eye opener and needed.

BLUEANGLER said...

Great trip! Andy.
Love the report! Seems you got the A2 already.

The creek is so beautiful now... can't wait any longer to fish the little creek again! : )

Forrest said...

very nice

Tim said...

Looks like a good time.