Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th










Could not make up my mind... stay home and party all weekend or go camping and fishing. Well, I split the time and took an all day fishing adventure. Spoke with B.G. before heading out and took his direction on where to go.
Once there and rigged up I began the hike, I looked at my watch and decided 30-45 minutes of walking would be sufficient river to fish. On my way down I walked bye another person on the ridge looking down into the river and we only exchanged a nod... I think we were both surprised to see each other. I got down into the water and started fishing back to the truck. (about 6 hours of fishing back) It seems every time I fish it is a minimum 12 hour day.
The fishing was slow, and I couldn't figure out why, throughout the day I threw everything at them. 4 different stimulators, Grumpies, Green Drakes, Stone flies, every color combo of the Raggedy Andy, and I think I also through the kitchen sink at them. They all seemed to work at different times, but nothing consistent.
So, as I made my way along I noticed three fish rising in a pool, then I noticed a man sitting in the weeds, smacking on a pipe. He came down to me and started to talk about the next hole and he was giving it a break. His name was Scott, very nice, used bamboo rods and has the same thought process about fishing I do... keep it safe, keep it secret. He too was having a tough day and said he had fished it yesterday and it was on fire, phenomenal, and unrelenting. What a difference a day makes. We both agreed to jump each other for the rest of the day and share the river, and give each other the peace and solitude we both desire on a river. Some people are just so cool when they "get it."
As I said the fishing was sporadic, total count was a dozen fish, so about two an hour. The best was a measure 23"-er that kicked my ass. I made three runs down river trying to land him. Fell into a deep whole and got my socks wet, then got him into the net. So glad to have landed him, the highlight of the day.

1 comment:

BLUEANGLER said...

Amazing story! Andy,

Be honest with you... I will trade any "on fire" day with a day that I will met a cool cat like "Scott"! It just so wonderful to fish with right person... I guess that is the reason we met! ha... no e-harmony here.... but the real life with some cool people on the riverside! : ) great report!!