Thursday, June 11, 2009

Moab bike, climb, camp


Hit Moab over the weekend with Brock, Wendy & Bill & their 2 kids. Did some camping, biking, climbing and then headed to work on Monday and Tuesday while they went off into the desert to do some climbing while I earned a paycheck.
We headed out along the river looking for Fat Bastard... the climb that we could all do with the two kids not being exposed too much. Good times, and not a bad climb for my 4th climb since I was a pre-teen back in N.H.

Me starting to climb.
Brock.
Wendy.
Bill.

We camped above the Slick Rock trail head which is below the Porcupine trail head. Brock and I were saddled up to ride Porcupine which we were told is amazing and it is. The climb is very techincal with ledges ranging from a few inches to a few feet. After riding the ridge along the top of the plateau we finally got to the single track section and it was game on. Both Brock and I got bucked from the bike a few times donating some skin to the rocks. We finished the ride quicker than we were told we would which was nice, can't wait to get back down there and slay that trail again. The views are amazing.






At our camp site we were at the base of a large cliff. The full Moon rose and illuminated the sky so brightly. You could see stars but the Moon was so bright the sky remained blue. I was able to geek out a bit with the camera and take some of what are to me a few of the best photos I have ever taken.


Night time and blue skies.

The Moon Rise.

3 comments:

Cutthroat Stalker (Scott C) said...

Now that looks/sounds like a lot of fun! How was the weather? With it being such a bizarre (long and wet) spring here in Utah, I've been hesitant to make many outdoor plans.

Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Weather was awesome, mid 80's by day 60's by night, a few sprinkles. It has been an actual spring which has been nice, not looking forward to 100 degrees.

BLUEANGLER said...

Wow... what a great report! I am JEALOUS! Andy...

I always want to visit a place like that...